Adventure and Travel

Trail Daze 2.0 | Greyton

Words and Images by Shift Media | Riders Dayle Holmes and Max Sullivan

· By Bike Hub Features · 13 comments

With Episode One and Episode Two of Trail Daze shining a light on two quick & easy local trails, it was time for our first destination episode. The extended and frustratingly wet Western Cape winter made things particularly challenging to plan, but we managed to find a small break in the treacherous weather and hit the road with our one-of-a-kind Mercedes-Benz Sprinter AWD mobile home conversion. Just under 2 hours drive from Cape Town, lies the quaint and exceptionally picturesque town of Greyton. It checks all the boxes when looking for an adventurous weekend away – accommodation options, great food, chill vibes but more importantly an abundance of trails and a hub that connects it all.

Ranging from an easy trail for the whole family, to challenging with exposed rocky descents for advanced riders, the trail network has something for everyone. Seven purpose built and well marked mountain bike trails are on offer, with 6 options for those choosing to bring their gravel bikes. We started off by taking on the 24km Bakenskop red loop, which splits off into the Bakenskop black route, just to ad a bit of spice to the ride. Very quickly into the ride one is surrounded by spectacular rolling hills, covered in flowers, with the Riviersonderend Mountain range looming large in the background. Aside from only a few meters of jeep track, it was all pristine singletrack that just kept going and going, and you really do get the feeling of freedom and adventure. I personally knew there were trails out here, I just never knew exactly how awesome they were.

After a laid back lunch break and a caffeine top-up back in town we explored two more trails called 1st Bench and 2nd Bench. At only about 10km in distance each, these quick loops are more manicured and feature a collection of super fun berms and less technical riding. A great way to sharpen up those cornering skills before bombing back down into town for a cold one to wrap up the day.

As a riding destination Greyton offers the full package. The town itself is full of interesting restaurants and coffee shops and offers plenty to do when you aren’t riding or if you plan to bring along family and friends that don’t cycle. The trails are very well graded and offer a really great variety of routes that go from easy loops to more advanced technical trails with decent elevation. I would highly recommend making a trip out to Greyton if you haven’t already, you won’t be disappointed.

Dayle Holmes

Greyton is such a lovely town to visit, regardless of the season. There is a plethora of quaint accommodation in the area and some great spots to have a beer and enjoy a meal, from pub grub to fine dining, it has it all. Nestled in the shadow of some magnificent mountains lie some amazing trails, a great mix of smooth flow or natural rocky terrain. Every meter of vert ascended in the area will reward you, be it with the views or a thrilling descent back into the Dorp! 10/10 will return in summer for a ride in the heat, a beer at the brewery, followed by a dip in the river

Max Sullivan

Directions and permits

Be sure to keep an eye out for the next episode, where we bring you a visual essay from another awesome South African trail.

Designed for those who want to get away from the crowds without compromising on comfort, the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter AWD combines quality with lasting performance for carefree travelling. When converting the Sprinter into a mobile home, together with a reliable Mercedes-Benz Van Partner, you will have the flexibility to fill it with the features and customisations of your choice, allowing you to take the luxuries of your everyday life with you, wherever you go. You can install the kitchen of your dreams, along with blissful sleeping quarters, or WIFI and a stylish office nook, to create your home away from home, exactly the way you want it. Learn more about the configuration options here.

Supporting sponsor

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

MrJacques

Sep 29, 2023, 10:09 AM

Nice photos, makes me want to go ride :)
Adr!@n

Sep 29, 2023, 12:25 PM

Looks amazing. Also really cool to see some riders sending it in something other than lycra on the front page!
Shebeen

Sep 29, 2023, 1:06 PM

Greyton is a kiff place to go ride, hope the trails survived the deluge last weekend. They are well built but that was a megatoncrapload of H2O that fell.

plus it has a brewery.

our resident @guidodg has a great thread going here.

guidodg

Sep 29, 2023, 5:00 PM

unfortunately we have had to close all our trails for the moment...but it should not take too long to get them up and running again...

image.jpeg.81502c7f92ae88aeeb706c2b7bff489e.jpeg

IMG_7960.jpeg

73723596-EF5D-4A57-927D-62CE92B643EA.jpg

BF76DD99-8C33-440C-B3BC-0ED3B11C5867.jpg

'Dale

Sep 30, 2023, 8:12 AM

My beautiful country - those mountains. Great eye and aperture there, Shift Media
LazyTrailRider

Sep 30, 2023, 3:57 PM

Amazing shots!

I’m an annual Greyton visitor, lotto winnings would immediately buy me a holiday home there.

Hoping the trails are rideable again by the end of December, going to be there for a week over the new year…

Headshot

Oct 2, 2023, 11:11 AM

I recall a rather lovely if very windy ride  on one of the featured trails a December or two ago, Take your climbing legs.

Soaps

Oct 3, 2023, 2:50 PM

Awesome Shots!! Need to book a trip to Greyton, thats for sure!
fusion01

Oct 9, 2023, 11:45 AM

I’ve lived in Greyton for over four years but frankly it’s made me far less of a mountain biker after a couple of years riding the trails (all of them). Most are not technically challenging at all. The only route worth mentioning in the Bakenskop black route that is tough and technical running along narrow ridges and rock drops. And in Winter these trails are destroyed by erosion, mud and a lot of slop. We’re relocating back to Cape Town early next year where I’ll ride daily my favourite trails again: Tokai and Constantia Nek to Newlands - and Boyes Drive has decent singletrack on both sides too.
guidodg

Oct 9, 2023, 12:09 PM

Hi Andrew [am assuming that is your name from your URL link]

I understand that Greyton does not have very technical singletrack , but at least you get to ride directly from home and there is always something to ride, be it singletrack or forest, in relative safety without the worry of being mugged and without the worries of traffic getting home afterwards...

I lived in Muizenberg 2 years ago...where exactly are the singletracks around Boyes Dr???

dirtypot

Oct 9, 2023, 12:12 PM

3 minutes ago, guidodg said:

.where exactly are the singletracks around Boyes Dr???

I was wondering the same thing...

Rowl

Oct 9, 2023, 1:26 PM

1 hour ago, fusion01 said:

What is your point or is the article biased?

Promoting a small town which offers a unique riding opportunity is not a bad thing?

fusion01

Oct 9, 2023, 1:29 PM

Just now, Roul said:

What is your point or is the article biased?

I only criticised the trail riding, I’m an entitled to my opinion am I not? Am I not able to express myself on the Bikehub? It’s called open honest expression. Greyton is a great village, I shouldn’t need to express endless positives to appease guilt! You have taken my comment way too personally my friend.