Pedal Project have launched their SA Dream Bike Fundraiser. Riders can enter a raffle to win a custom-built Pyga Hyrax as illustrated below.
“SA Dream Bike – Made by South Africans | For South Africans” – Design by Jaco van der Linde
Pedal Project works with at-risk youth from under-resourced communities. The core programme, PEDALFORGOOD, combines the challenging activity of mountain biking in green spaces with the support structure of caring coaches that perform the role of older mentors, with mindfulness techniques to help create #TrailTherapy. This will enable the youth to manage their emotions better, improve focus at school and reduce risky behaviours.
The programme supports 60 youth from Khayelitsha to nurture positivity, to foster inclusion and to open up young minds to the possibilities that lie beyond (or hidden within) their immediate environments.
Bicycles have the power to make lives better beyond winning races—they bring people and communities together, motivate us to become better humans, and help us take advantage of what the world has to offer.
At pedal project we are committed to breaking down barriers so that all kids have access to bicycles and safe places to ride. we believe that bicycles not only have the ability to improve the health of our youth but also bring the power of opportunity, agency, and freedom to those who have access to the power of two wheels.
The SA Dream Bike
- Naturally, the first place to start is the bike’s frame which PYGA Industries supplies; the HYRAX is an all-around trail bike that will enable you to ride most trails in South Africa and beyond. It’s fast and agile, just like the creature named after, to skip across rocks and features you will find in the trails.
- cSixx is providing the wheelset to ensure you can keep the beautiful Hyrax rolling and a dropper post, along with some of their custom components, including hubs and dropper post and lever.
- Lyne Components is supporting the initiative with their magnificent handlebars and their innovative Shred Zeplin, an all-in-one bike tool, and their unique mini tool and bottle cage.
- Cape Cycle Systems has come on board to ensure the rest is covered. Providing a complete SRAM Eagle GX Drive train, 150mm RockShox PIKE fork and SRAM Guide G2 brake set with Centre Line rotors
- South Africa MTB hero Andrew “Needles” Neethling included 29” Kenda Tyres, ODI grips, Crank Brother E-Mallet pedals, and a saddle from his sponsors on the dream bike build.
- BMC ensures the bike is truly South African with deep green and gold colours, adding a rainbow on the top tube using Pedal Project colours to inspire hope.
- Armour Ride completes the dream build to ensure that the bike is covered and protected against all the elements one might get through, once this bike is on the trails.